Thursday, January 9, 2014

Super boys

 I had one of those moments this fall where the desire to create something was over powering. It seems to hit as the seasons change and the great outdoors don't hold their same daily appeal. My project was inspired by the love my boys have of playing with super heroes. We have a basket full of "vintage" ones from Josh's childhood which they play with all the time. Side note: Action figures these days are not nearly as cool; someone needs to tell Mattel that they should revert to their old school designs as they are much more appealing.

 Anyways, I wanted to make capes for the boys rather than buying them. The ones at the store are so flimsy and feel so cheap and I wanted something that would be inspiring. I had visions of my dress up box when I was young in which we played with an awesome full-sized satin cape from my dad's acting days in high school.
 So I set out to make up my own version of that satin cape but add a super-hero element to it. Boy, nothing makes you feel more inept at sewing than starting a sewing project without a pattern. Well let's be honest, I probably wouldn't feel skilled even with a pattern. But patterns aside, the project went quickly and by the end (thanks to all the straight line sewing a cape affords) I was quite satisfied with the finished product. 
 The following day we went for a walk through the neighborhood just to make sure any "bad guys" know there are some Superboys that live on this block. I sleep better at night knowing I have Captain America and Superman in my house.


No comments: