Friday, April 29, 2011

On Becoming Martha


After years of country hopping and apartment shopping I can say with confidence
that we will be living in one spot for more than a year! (If we're anything like our neighbors, we'll wake up one day and find we've been in the same spot for 30 years!)

With this new found permanency comes the ability and inspiration to decorate! Something that apartments, dorm rooms, and returning to old bedrooms in our parents houses have failed
to do for me. Some how the idea of putting effort in to something so short lived is a waste of energy in my mind.

Today, you will find on my fridge a running list of things I want to do in this fabulous house. Some that are obtainable, some that are way over my head, some that
will actually come to fruition and some that will probably remain a
good idea but will make it no further than that
piece of paper.

Here are two of my first completed projects...I think Martha would be proud (not that I really care what Martha thinks.)

Ruffle Wreath


Painted Wall Paper

We have this odd little room in our house on the main floor.
It has a cut out wall that over looks the stair-well and in to our living room.
We have loved it from the first time we toured our house.
Our vision: An office and reading room. Both of us immediately
envisioned curling up in a cozy chair with a good book when we first laid eyes
on this tiny room.

I knew I wanted to do painted wall paper somewhere in the house and this
room seemed like the perfect spot. To be honest this was a project Josh was not
totally sold on. However, one evening, two afternoon nap-times later, and he is a fan.
Added bonus: It didn't cost me a darn cent!

I am in love with how it turned out and frankly a little sad my project has
come to an end. I ended up keeping one wall void of the pattern
since I'm planning to decorate with maps and vintage feel objects
and thought it would end up feeling too busy if the pattern carried on behind.
All that's missing is that cozy chair and a bookshelf.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

poole party said...

looks awesome! i love jones design company blog, too! her stuff is amazing.