Sunday, March 9, 2008

10 Things "We've observed" about Nicaragua

Hola mis amigos, this is Josh here. Mary Frances has been keeping y'all up to date on our happenings, so I'll try to keep it as interesting and lively this week as she has faithfully done. It has been so enjoyable to hear from you all and receive your encouragement. We can't express how much we love hearing from you. It is truly amazing that we are able to communicate using this forum. Thank you Lord for technology! Can you image, before the dawn of the internet only being able to communicate through snail mail.

I thought we might take a diversion this week and use this entry to share with you some of the cultural idiosyncrasies that we have observed while being in Nicaragua. If you haven't had the chance to live or spend time in another cultural you may want to prepare yourself for a shock. No Travis, going to Cabo doesn't count. But if you've had the pleasure of living abroad, you will probably recognize a lot the things we have seen. So what is life like in Nicaragua?

10 Things "We've observed" about Nicaragua:

1. Fire is nothing to be afraid of. Seriously, you feel like mowing that grass do ya? Why not light it on fire instead. In the Nicaraguan worldview, unlike our western view, fire is a tool, not something that is reserved to singing cumbyaha around the campsite. Fire is used for cooking food, burning piles of leaves in the front yard, and yes, clearing that field that is overgrown.

2. If you can hear yourself sing or talk to your neighbor in church, that means that the music is not turned up loud enough. In Nicaraguan churches the sound system only has two levels, off, and completely pegged at maximum volume. I am not sure how the small children in front manage to escape permanent hearing damage, but I know I haven't.

3. Garbage is disposed in two places: in the garbage can or out the car window. I would say 10 percent it is placed actually in a garbage can, the remaining 90 percent somehow finds its way onto the ground. It really is sad to see all the trash.

4. Policemen will pull you over for no reason whatsoever. If you are driving and you get pulled over and you can't think of any reason why, that is probably because there isn't one. Just give the cop what he is looking for, a little respect, let him know he is in charge, and he will probably let you go scotch-free. Slipping him an Abraham Lincoln might help too. Just kidding.

5. Electrical work is always done while the current is hot and dangerously close to blasting you into the next room. I don't know why it is, but Nicaraguan electricians must be incredibly brave or incredibly under trained, but either way, they are all very young. Humm?

6. Next to the steering wheel and the brake pedal the most important part of a car is the horn. While passing pedestrians or other cars you have to assume that they are not aware of your presence. You should use your horn frequently to announce yourself to all.

7. Water should be replaced by oil in just about every recipe. Although we have come to really love the Nicaraguan recipes that we have had the pleasure to try, it is shocking how much oil is loaded into each meal. "I've never been able to see my reflection in my food before."

8. Your head is not only used for directing you body in the direction you wanna go, it is also a handy place to carry heavy objects like 100 pound bricks and 5 gallon jugs of water. I don't know where this strategy developed, but is awesome and believe it or not actually works. I don't know if it is the reason why Nicaraguans tend be shorter on average than North Americans, but my theory is that it has something to do with it.

9. Motorcycles are given out to those people who couldn't pass their drivers ed class in hopes that they will remove themselves from the gene pool. Just about every serious accident involves a motorcycle here. In that way, it's not to much different from the States, but there does seem to be an IQ difference between those on motorcycles and those in cars.

10. When something is broken, the number one way to fix it is by hitting it really hard with your hand or some blunt object. This is my favorite one, and the one that matches my own philosophy of handy-man work. Oh, what's wrong with your TV? Smack it. Oh, you can get that keyboard working? Hit it with a hammer. What's that, your washing machine isn't working? Slam it on the grounds as hard as you can.

Hopefully some of these "light hearted" but true cultural observations will help you gain a better understanding of the world of Nicaragua. Everyday is truly a new adventure. Continue to pray for Mary Frances as she is trying to figure out how to deal with disciplining some of her rowdier children. Also, please pray that my ability to pick up Spanish will come quickly and I will be able to step out fearlessly to you use what little I know.

12 comments:

Kevin & Karlyn said...

Just wanted to let you guys know that I love and miss you, and we're praying for you. MF... Kevin says you just need to learn a few good cuss words to keep the kids in line. ;)

Brydenman said...

You guys rock my world. That top ten list was awesome - I totally feel you on some of them. SE Asia is the same way. Keep up the great work. Miss you lots.

Bryden

hschween said...

Ok seriously Josh that was so funny I was laughing out loud at work - people were wondering what could possibly so funny as I'm just starting at my computer screen as usual. And I SO love the visual of you guys sitting in a field with your lap top to get online! I LOVE IT! We miss you guys tons and are praying for you.

EliasCarlson said...

Awesome, and so true! Love you guys! - Elias

Unknown said...

Your BIG sis here...literally, BIG. Josh, I love your anecdotes. It feels like I actually had a conversation with you by reading that. :-) Micah and I both miss you two terribly. You are in our thoughts and prayers always.

tstewart said...

That's pretty good. Sounds like quite a strange environment your in down there. I totally know how you feel. When I visited the 3rd world area known as Cabo San Lucus with my Wife's family for a mission trip, I quickly realized how different life is in the US of A. It was a real eye opener for me. We of course were only there for 7 days, and well spent most of our time on the beach with a bucket of Coronas... But yeah, I can totally relate to your top 10 list.

Here's a slightly shorter list that I have developed here at home while you two have been away...

5: Hanging out at your apartment hot tub & sauna is really akward without you guys...

4: Remember when I would stop by on my way home (conviently timed) and you guys would feed me dinner? Well, I've lost 8 pounds...

3: The last 4 movies Jess & I have watched have been wonderful & leave us feeling very happy. We sure do miss the "RESCUE DAWN" and "HOT FUZZ" feeling we used to get when Josh would pick the flick.

2: Since you two have been gone, Jess & I have had a lot more time to spend just one on one... She decided we're going back to marriage counsiling starting on friday. *Thanks again*

1: All things considered. The number one thing thats happened while you've been away is... We've all come to realize what a huge part you two play in each of our lives. From family to friends, everyone here at home can't wait to see you guys again soon.

Jess & I will continue to pray for MF & the chalanges of having a buch of wild foreign Travis's in here class. As for Josh, I'd throw in the towel with the spanish. We all know you would be better off just hiring a translator to follow you around.

Best of luck you two

Unknown said...

Hello again you two! Josh, I have to say I did laugh out loud many times while reading your "10 things you have learned" I must say that 3rd world countries have a lot in common. India was very similar...how did those silly Nicaraguans get all the way to India to teach them their ways? Anyhoo, love you both dearly and really enjoy reading your blog. In my time of finals, you are bringing much joy to my life!

Jan Radford said...

We love your pictures! Thank you both. May I read your 10 observations to my 8th grade class? We are studying Central America this month at Highland Christian. You are both so brave, but I guess that is what faith is, right?

I taught Hispanic students and discovered they do not want to "loose face". If you cut out a circle happy face and write each child's name on it, post these in front of the class. During instruction time if one or two are not attentive turn their face so only the blank side is visible. When they please you (after 5-7 minutes...), reverse it so the smile shows. It may work for you as it did for my 1st-2nd graders. Also, I sang instructions sometimes rather than spoke them. We love you and will pray too. From your parent's crazy neighbors: Earl and Jan

Leonardo said...

M.F. Have you tried torture on the kids--no sugarless gum? Josh loved your list, you forgot the skinny dogs! Love the blog, but miss you, glad your doing well. Things are looking good for our move to Manson by May 1, Yeah!! Happy Easter to you both. We will be with your folks tomorrow nite, missing you.

Darcie said...

Your cousin here. I fix my computer by smacking it on a regular basis and I'm seriously considering fixing the copy machine at work by hitting it with a baseball bat.

Missing you guys here and hope you're having an amazing time there.

Aunt Kathy said...

So, this is your Aunt Kathy here just checking in with the two of you. Actually now I am officially a "great" aunt, but then you already knew that, right? We are keeping both of you in our prayers, miss you and love you lots.

Brando said...

I would add one for Taiwan: Why take your kid to a bathroom when you can just dangle them in the air and let them go in the street in front of the market? It's all pipes!