Saturday, February 23, 2008

One Month Strong

Adjustment, that has been our word for the past few weeks as we settle in to the routine of school and living out in Los Cedros. It would be safe to say that we have started to feel more at home in Los Cedros as we find our groove in the flow of life out in the Nicaraguan countryside. Josh has started working on various projects, like getting the internet set up on the school property and brainstorming fund raising ideas for new computers. But mainly he has been studying Spanish, which he has done diligently. Now it’s a matter of actually putting what he’s learning in to practice, instead of relying on his walking, talking dictionary and translator (me).

Top: Mac & Cheese, our first meal in our new home. Josh in the hammock with a children's book in Spanish, a great way to learn language! Bottom: Our new favorite thing, hammock chairs on the front porch.

The past few weeks for me have been learning more about my students and how to best inspire and teach them. A verse I read at the beginning of the week said “No day will pass without its reward” and so I have chronicled what small rewards the Lord has been giving us each day. One of the biggest for me this week has been seeing how the students have started to respond more to me. My “problem” classes have been the 1st (which is mainly due to being so young), 3rd and 4th graders who have some attention and respect issues. Disciplining is where my Spanish falls short but I can tell you one thing, I will be able to give anyone and anything a command in Spanish by the time all is said and done. However, my reward each day was seeing where the students were engaged and enjoying what they were learning. It was encouraging to see that, I can indeed do this job with some sort of success!


Another reward for us this week happened on Thursday. Two of the school caretakers, Yader and Elvis (both very popular names down here) have taken to Josh. They invited him to come play in a pick-up baseball game after work; ahh baseball, Nicaragua’s favorite pastime. Anyway, so with a little trepidation regarding the Nica’s expectations of his baseball skills, Josh donned his sunglasses, hat and baseball glove and joined in on the game. While it may seem small, simply being able to connect with the people in this way was a huge blessing and encouragement to us both.


Top: Elvis getting ready to toss the ball around. Josh for his big debut up at bat in his first of what will probably be many, Nicaraguan pick-up baseball game.
Middle: Yader hitting the ball hard...the fan base for these games are the youth of Los Cedros.
Bottom: Lennin (one of my 5th graders) and me at the game and a picture of a typical Nicaraguan baseball field.

Finally, I’d say our week’s reward was the time we spent today enjoying a little “R&R” with Lee, Becky and Sadie Lockridge. Although we were tourists, we spent the day exploring the city of Leon, wandering through the streets in search of historic cathedrals and a restaurant to eat lunch at. After lunch we made the trek out to the beaches of Las Pelanitas and Poneloya where we played in the waves, soaked up the sun, and enjoyed the beauty of creation. All and all it was a wonderful way to spend Saturday and a refreshing way to gear up for another week.







Top: Two of the oldest churches in Leon, Nicaragua
Middle #1: So...we haven't had time to work on the tan yet apparent by Josh's use of sunscreen. Sadie and Becky Lockridge and Lillian (a little Nica girl they have fallen in love with).
Middle #2: Josh soaking up the body surfing, fun in the sand, Lee and Becky Lockridge taking advantage of the great view!
Bottom: A view of the wonderful beach we enjoyed today!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. The pictures and captions really help me to feel a part of the work. Ahhh, mac & cheese... Take care --- Jerry

Daveeed said...

My eyes welled up with tears this morning as I was finally able to sit down long enough to read this. You have a wonderful way of being succinct and engaging in your writing Muff...course I'm a bit biased! Was soooooo good to hear your voice last Sunday. Thank you for "skyping" us or however you're doing so! Con amor, abrazos y oraciones cada dia, tu Papi.

Unknown said...

Blessing Josh and Mary Frances - I am sorry I missed your farewell party would have been nice to send you off in person. Josh - baseball, what no soccer! Much love OMA

Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Isaiah 30:19-21

Skip Clark said...

I finally found time to check out your latest blog entry. Nice job! You continue to inspire. I agree with your Dad, MF. You have a natural talent for story telling.

The family will next be gathering for Easter brunch at Grandma and Grandpa Clark’s. I will make sure that someone (i.e. yours truly) eats your shares for you.

I can’t recall if I told you about Molly’s wedding date. It will be on Saturday, August 9, 2008 at noon. We know you can’t be there, but I thought you might like to know anyway.

Take care.

Love,

Skip