Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wk 19: Reminders & Hawaii


Week 19 I was supposed to capture a picture of something non-human that reminded me of something. So I took a picture of this fish - a Frog fish.

 It might seem a strange subject but I chose it partly because going on a vacation to Hawaii with all my favorite little people does not leave me with much capacity for extra creativity or sentimentality. With that said, this picture isn't meant to be a cop-out because it was a truly spectacular fish. I think a more appropriate name for it should've been "Stone Fish" for it took anyone who peered into this tank several minutes to locate what species inhabited it. It didn't bat a gill. Just sat there suspended motionless in the still waters of it's tank. My mother-in-law in particular had a priceless response as the fish, obviously tired of being the object of such gawking, suddenly moved for the first time in who knows how long startling her into shrieking as her intense searching for the contents of the tank came to an abrupt and startling end. It's a sly little fish and captivated me but it also serves as a reminder to me of how blessed we are to be taking these precious chaotic trips as an entire family to Hawaii.

I did not grow up vacationing. Our family trips were generally limited to the confines of an over-sized black van with bench seats and the flimsy walls of a tent or the tiny cabin we adore in Winthrop. If we did go on an airplane it was to Central America with the organization my Dad worked for. Equally exciting but with a different purpose than pure relaxation. I wouldn't trade those experiences and my childhood was by no means lacking but I still have to pinch myself when I think about the memories my children will form with their aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents on the beautiful beaches in Maui.  



I'm so thankful to be a part of a family who enjoys each others company enough to spend 10 days together without killing one another.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: