Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Owen and Papi



My parents spent two weeks of their summer vacation at our family cabin in Mazama and I decided that a 4 hour trip over the mountains by myself with two little kids in tow didn't sound that scary after all. So with snacks and toddler entertainment placed strategically next to me in the front seat I struck out with my two little guys to join my parents at this delightful destination.

We spent four boiling hot days with my parents at the cabin where we enjoyed a multitude of heat induced naps, delicious meals, and outdoor adventuring. There was of course the classic Carlson head dunk, a tradition started by my Father with my brothers when we were little. The Carlson head dunk involves submerging ones head into an icy body of water to hail in the coming of all things summer or to simply honor any outdoor adventure. Growing up this tradition usually took place in mountain streams or rushing rivers found during our summer hikes; however, seeing that Owen isn't in to hiking yet, the kiddie pool at the back of the cabin sufficed for his head dunking initiation.

I find that each trip over to the cabin continues to hold so many precious moments- they are in the bones of the cabin and the sounds and smells of the forest around. This trip proved to be no different. Every waking moment Owen had he wanted to spend with his Papi. They wore floppy sun hats and sunglasses together, sat on the porch observing the birds and animals around, and went for walks in search of deer and ant hills. There were canoe washing lessons and Owen's first boat ride on Lake Perrygin and first river fording holding tightly to Papi's hand. Owen could not get enough of his beloved Papi and I don't think I'll ever be able to forget watching the fun they had together. I walked away from those four days so grateful once again for this place my Grandparents have provided where memories can be made, busy hearts and lives refreshed, and our family bond ever deepened.
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

karissa said...

Precious. These are the simple and lovely things that "the good life" is made off.