Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Little Si

Hiking is a fond childhood memory I hold. I remember scampering up hillsides with my brothers, marveling at huge trees, delicate wild flowers and the beginnings of a longstanding family tradition of head dunking in icy mountain streams. Fortunately, I married a man who loves the outdoors. So, last Saturday we embarked on our first little family hiking excursion. Choosing the right hike was a bit of a challenge as we had to take in to consideration the challenges of packing an infant on your chest up a steep hillside and of course the every 2-3 hour hunger pains Owen was bound to feel. With all that in mind, our first stop was Snoqualmie falls. This beautiful spot is a mere 25 minutes from us and sadly neither of us have ever hiked to the bottom of the canyon before. Little did we know, the trail is closed for the next three years...guess it would have helped to know that before driving out there. So, we popped in to the gift shop, stole a glance in their "hiking with kids" book and found our next destination: Little Si.


Snoqualmie Falls

With determination in our eyes, warm sun on our shoulders, and a content Owen strapped to me we began the trek up the side of Little Si. Now, I've been pretty good about getting back in to a work out routine since Owen's birth but somehow free weights and elliptical machines can't compare to carrying a 12lb baby up the side of a mountain. So, in the moments where my lungs screamed "Darn you for forgetting your inhaler" I reminded myself that there are families with 6 year olds coming back down the mountain and I have 20 years of learned determination on them I should be able to make it to the top! So between that and daydreaming about doing this all over again when Owen is old enough to hike himself, we made it and what a beautiful sight it was!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: